Friday, June 5, 2009

Detritus from the Estate of Dr. Anton Phibes

After seeing some of the Arcanifacts that Scot has uncovered for others, I knew that I had to see if any personal possessions of the great Dr. Anton Phibes could be acquired. After a few weeks of anxious waiting, I finally received word that Scot had uncovered some evidence from the Phibes homicide case, which had originally been conducted by Scotland Yard. I was extremely excited as I picked up my package at the post office. I also wondered if I would fall under scrutiny by the authorities for my high interest in a still unsolved investigation.

I could not have been more pleased with my Arcanifact! Upon opening the package, I immediately saw a Victrola speaker. The speaker was the type the good doctor used to communicate after his terrible accident. (ALSO NOTE: Victoria's white opera glove.)



Next, I found the embalming bottle, with traces of embalming fluid. Was this indeed one of the same bottles used in Anton's sleep chamber?


Then, I opened the real treasure trove of the collection, a mysterious, old, red box. The handle of the box was Egyptian in design, as Phibes' himself held a special interest in Egypt.


The mirror in the top of the box had the initials of Victoria Regina Phibes. Many of the objects inside were obviously very important to her; a hat pin...


...and a valentine card and poem from Anton.



Two photos of the beautiful Victoria...


...a bat cuff link, and dried rose.


A newspaper clipping announcing the "death" of Dr. Phibes...



One of my personal favorite documents is the original telegram, notifying him that his wife had taken ill...


A concert program of one of Dr. Phibes rare personal appearances as a world renown organist...



...spring and clockwork gears, perhaps leftover parts from a robotic snake?


A jar with a locust, paired with a Brussels sprout...


Finally, I opened a large manila envelope. It contained an ancient page, written in Hebrew, depicting the 10 plagues of Egypt...


The whole collection is detailed in the Scotland Yard evidence report, signed by Detective Inspector Trout himself (NOTE: Phibes' calling card still bearing traces of melted candle wax!)
I can't begin to describe how pleased I am with my Arcanifact. The attention to detail, such as dates, names and locations is incredible. Now my challenge is to display my Arcanifact in a way that is fitting for such a collection.
Thanks again, Scot!

-Mike Chapman (St. Louis, MO)

+++++++++++++++++++++
For more about the wonderfully Abominable Dr. Phibes, click HERE!

6 comments:

The Clever Pup said...

Wow! What fun. A really well-curated collection of curios.

I picked up a calling card from Sherlock Holmes when I was at his Baker St. Museum, but nothing like this has ever come my way. Cool.

Karswell said...

Indeed, this Arcanifact collection must be seen in person to be believed... these photos simply do not do any of these items justice.

I now wonder what Scot could aquire for Mr. Chapman should Dr. Phibes Rise Again?

Kitty LeClaw said...

Bravo, Mr. Ryersson... BRAVO!

Mr. Chapman said...

Karswell is right. This Arcanifact is quite a collection to behold. It was really cool to see his reaction to seeing it for the first time. Bravo, indeed!

If you still don't own an Arcanifact, what are you waiting for?

John Rozum said...

Wow. Great stuff, and thanks to Karswell for steering me over here to look at it.

JVK said...

Fantastic stuff.